Tobacco-Free Workplaces Create Safe & Healthy Working Environments for Employees
Why is a tobacco-free workplace a good idea?
- It’s safer. There is no safe level of secondhand smoke exposure. Chew or spit tobacco is unsanitary.
- It’s good for business. Tobacco-free policies save money.
- It’s the law. RSA 155:64-77 Indoor Smoking Act – New Hampshire’s Smoke-Free Workplace Law.
Tobacco-Free Workplaces Save Money
Each employee who is dependent on cigarettes costs a business approximately $3,400 a year due to healthcare costs, lost work days, and time off for smoke-breaks.
Develop and Implement a Tobacco-Free Policy in Your Workplace
Regardless of the size of a business, take steps to provide a safe and healthy work environment for all employees. By making businesses tobacco-free, a valuable resource is protected – workers’ health.
In NH, 17% of adults smoke, 63% are overweight or obese, and 21.4% do not participate in any leisure time physical activity (2008 BRFSS).
- NH workplaces share success stories around policies that promote disease prevention, healthy eating, and access to physical activity that have been created around the state at www.HEAL.com.
- Create your own success story. Find out how to implement your own tobacco-free policy with the Good Works! Kit.